a boyhood fantasy come true?
In grammar school right around the 4th grade.. or was it fifth grade..? Whatever. Somewhere around there I started cartooning. A lot. A whole lot. I 'tooned from then until my sophomore year of high school and then stopped. I think lots of boys do the cartoon thing and I was one of them.
During a conversation with my boss the subject of 'tooning came up and I told him I made a small web 'toon for a little while. He saw it, liked it and wanted to apply it to his biz.
The longer I live in Florida, the more stuff I thought would never happen is actually coming true.
I mean, seriously.. 'tooning? I had given up on that even before I became an adult.
. . .
As an aside, here's my take on web 'toons:
Although humor is dependent on what people find funny, I personally think most web comics suck. They're too specific to a particular audience and the brand of humor is so dry it could compete with a desert. Add to that internet cultural references and there's basically no way anyone could relate to it.
Example: Diesel Sweeties. I'm not saying it's a bad 'toon because it's not. However if you don't "get" the internet/tech references thrown throughout, you won't see the humor in it at all.
I strive to produce 'toons that have humor that people can actually "get" without having the prerequisite of knowing internet or tech-specific references. Granted, I may put out a few that get a bit specific at times, but nothing that would leave anyone in utter confusion.
The way I write is with the goal of making people laugh, or at bare minimum crack a smile. To me that's how 'toons should be.
More articles to check out
- Fender Player Telecaster Limited Edition - CHEAP
- The NTTA Texas toll road experience
- Spalted maple wood guitars - why is this still a thing?
- Half a terabyte of tiny storage is cheap now
- The three watches I wear the most
- Dumb guitar on the moment: The light-up acrylic SG
- You really can't beat the value of a Glarry guitar
- Ovation acoustic clone for ridiculously cheap price
- Is a slide rule bezel on an aviation watch worthless?
- Glarry GTL Semi-Hollow Body guitar review