(warning: nerd post)
The laptop which I just acquired earlier in the week is not going to be running Ubuntu. I installed it, I liked it, but for my particular needs (i.e. BBS operation) it will not suit.
Instead, Windows will be on it and the BBS will go back online shortly after I'm done with the install (it's been down for a few days).
I will be switching BBS software from ELE to ProBoard 2.16. Actually I intended to run ProBoard right from the get-go, but since it's very old-school DOS, it doesn't recognize "soft" modems. However, I discovered that a US Robotics XJ5660 PC Card does allow a true DOS-based BBS to "see" the modem, even in Windows. Happy day. (grin)
ProBoard is the original BBS software I used eight years ago back in Connecticut. While everyone else was using RemoteAccess at the time, I liked PB the best. Everything was just ten times easier to do in PB compared to RA.
Unfortunately, my BBS will have to be in permanent "unregistered" mode because I have no way to register the software. I did register the software years ago but lost my "key" file.. so.. what ya gonna do.
There are attempts being made to get ProBoard back into action. I was really surprised to learn that there are people who like the software even after all these years.
Anyway, this evening I will be putting up the good ol' single-node system once again, complete with IceEdit (I love that editor), some PEXes, a few doors and whatever else I can think of. There'll be a lot of "unregistered" crap, but it's not like I have anywhere to register it to being with(!) (grin)
Went back to a temporary ELE setup until I get the bugs worked out of the system.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- The classiest little Casio, AQ230
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one
- Plywood might be one of the best electric guitar tonewoods
- Why isn't The Whoopee Boys a cult classic?