Best SG of 2019? Epiphone 1961 G-400 in Metallic Gold
I'm a sucker for gold guitars, what can I say.
Today is the last day of 2019. End of the year and end of the decade as well. Hope your new year is a good one. And you might want to ring in that new year with this gold beast.
I don't have any yellow guitars right now, but at some point I'll get another one. If I had the cash, I would get this Epiphone 1961 G-400 PRO right now.
This SG style guitar hits all the right marks.
Where appearance is concerned, it's not just the gold finish but the fact the keystone style tuners are used on this particular model. This Epiphone definitely has the correct vintage SG look.
And yes, this guitar is gold all around. Front and back. But it smartly doesn't have any gold hardware. If it did, that would be too much gold. There's enough black and chrome bits throughout that breaks up the main color and it really works well.
Bring this is a PRO model, yes the humbuckers are split with push-pull pots. The SG is already a bright sounding guitar to begin with, so the split sound may be a bit "pingy", but then again it's totally optional whether you want to use it or not. If you don't like it, just don't use it and go with the full dual coil sound all the time. Not an issue.
The only part of the guitar that bothers me - and this is only a styling thing - is the truss rod cover. It says "SG PRO" on it and looks a little tacky because the font is a few points too large. But that's easily fixed just by ordering a blank cover off eBay. Again, not an issue.
Again, I would totally get this if I had the cash for it. PRO is the best of the line from Epiphone, so it's not a bargain basement guitar. But you get a lot of guitar for the money with this one.
👍 Did you find this article helpful? Be a good doobie and leave a tip
More articles to check out
- Squier raises the price on Classic Vibe Stratocasters
- Five of the better guitar shirts I've seen
- How to choose the right guitar octave pedal effect
- Hidden gem: Jackson Dinky JS22
- Why I haven't bought another Jazzmaster
- Does Fender play it too safe with American Professional Stratocaster colors?
- Best SG of 2019? Epiphone 1961 G-400 in Metallic Gold
- On switching to a cheap mechanical PC keyboard
- The absolute best accessory a guitar pedal addict can have
- On going 100% Stratocaster