cold is a soul sucker
Originally I wanted to call this post "cold is a death dealer" but that sounded a bit too morbid (heh) so I decided to go with "soul sucker" instead.
As I write this it's a lil' after three in the afternoon and it is 73° in Tampa. Very nice.
Back at the stomping grounds it's 28.8°. Very crappy.
I have two reactions to that. First I'm surprised because it's 44 degrees colder up there; that's a huge difference. Second, I feel slight nausea.
I am quite certain that I will be reminiscing of the bad old days up north every time the winter season comes 'round. After all, I did grow up there so it's not like I can just forget about it.
Let me explain why I feel nausea at the mere thought of temps that cold:
There is absolutely nothing good about bitter cold days.
- Everything is literally freezing.
- The sky is either way too bright or dull gray. If it's bright, your eyes hurt the moment you're out the door from the blinding light of the sun combined with reflections of ice/snow/whatever. If dull gray, that's not exactly a pick-me-up if you catch my meaning.
- More on the bright-sky scene: A gleaming bright sun with no warmth outside is just unnatural to me. That kind of stuff messes with your head. You expect warmth and there is none.
- There's no snowfall because it's too cold for it, so all you've got is whatever snow is there (if any) combined with salt, sand and dirt. In other words, there's nothing good on the eyes out there.
- You actually debate with yourself whether you have to go outside or not. I know I have to go buy some milk, but.. I dunno.. maybe I can go without until tomorrow.. Yes, this really happens.
It's thoughts like this that are tough to shake. Just seeing the numbers on a computer screen send a wave of memories thru my head.
So why do I do it? Do I like punishing myself or something?
I do it to remind myself of what I left behind; it's totally worth it to deal with a lil' nausea when it's immediately followed by the thought of Well, at least I don't have to deal with that crap.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one
- Plywood might be one of the best electric guitar tonewoods
- Why isn't The Whoopee Boys a cult classic?
- And then there were the right two