coldest and hottest places in the USA
As I begin to write this at 7:45pm today, February 14 2009, the temperature outside my apartment in Tampa Florida is 67.8° F.
Just for fun I looked up what the coldest and hottest towns in the USA were, concentrating on the lower 48 states.
What was most interesting to me was the daily mean temperature in the course of a year.
The coldest mean temps are in:
- Mt. Washington, New Hampshire, 27.2°
- International Falls, Minnesota, 37.4°
- Marquette, Michigan, 38.7°
- Duluth, Minnesota, 39.1°
- Caribou, Maine, 39.2°
The hottest mean temps are in:
- Key West, Florida, 78.1°
- Miami, Florida, 76.7°
- Yuma, Arizona, 75.3°
- West Palm Beach, Florida, 75.3°
- Fort Myers, Florida, 74.9°
- Phoenix, Arizona, 74.2°
- Brownsville, Texas, 73.3°
- Vero Beach, Florida, 73.2°
- Tampa, Florida, 73.1° (surprise, surprise!)
Note that this doesn't mean Florida is the hottest state. It just means we have the highest mean temperatures.
I'll be sleeping with the window open tonight. 🙂