do you have a streetpilot that will not boot?
If you have a "c" series StreetPilot (c330, c340, c550, c580, etc.) that absolutely positively will not start no matter what you do - you should read this.
I officially scared the crap out of myself by messing around in the diagnostic section of the StreetPilot c580, exiting (properly), then the unit shut off and would not restart.
I plugged in the USB. No boot.
I plugged in the charger. No boot.
I cracked off the front plate cover and hit the reset button (which works 99% of the time). No boot.
Oh crap. Did I just bust my StreetPilot?
As a guy that doesn't give up easily, I cracked off the front plate, took off the four screws, pulled the unit apart, manually disconnected the battery, waited a few seconds, then reconnected.
I hit the power button, and...
Wow, what a relief.
This taught me not to go messing around in the diagnostic section of the StreetPilot. Evidently I did something I shouldn't have and locked up the unit so bad that a manual battery disconnect/reconnect was the only way to fix it.
And no I didn't lose any of the data in the c580. All my waypoints and POIs were still there.
But that was a really close call - I could have very easily busted the unit.
More articles to check out
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed
- Just for the look: Peavey Solo guitar amp
- Spacehunter, that '80s movie when 3D was a thing
- The Ice Pirates 1984
- A list of ridiculously accurate watches