migration off flickr almost complete
For a few days now I've been migrating all my images back to being locally hosted instead of having them on Flickr. This has been a huge pain in the ass. The last time I had this much aggravation was when I switched from MovableType to WordPress.
The reason for migrating back was for cost reasons. I don't feel like renewing my yearly subscription to Flickr.
But now I have a second reason: Dead image links.
As I've been migrating I've noticed more than a few posts that had the infamous "This image is not available" b.s. I had forgotten that if you modify a Flickr image in any way, the embed link changes and therefore results in a dead image link for the old one. The posts I found that had these have been this way for months and I didn't even know it until now. That ticked me off.
Downloading the entire Flickr collection was a nightmare, and manually editing each post that has an embedded Flickr image has proven to be even more of a nightmare.
I swear, I am never off-hosting anything ever again unless I deem it to be throw-away material. This migration has wasted so much of my frickin' time it's ridiculous.
More articles to check out
- Fender 75th Anniversary Stratocaster confusion
- Are there any real advantages to a headless guitar?
- Telecaster is a good example of a one-and-done guitar
- The guitars I still want that I haven't owned yet
- Casio W735HB (I wish this strap was offered on G-SHOCK)
- EART guitars are really stepping it up
- Using a Garmin GPS in 2021
- Converting to 24 hour time
- The best audio tester for your song recordings is your phone
- 5 awesome Casio watches you never see