migration off flickr almost complete
For a few days now I've been migrating all my images back to being locally hosted instead of having them on Flickr. This has been a huge pain in the ass. The last time I had this much aggravation was when I switched from MovableType to WordPress.
The reason for migrating back was for cost reasons. I don't feel like renewing my yearly subscription to Flickr.
But now I have a second reason: Dead image links.
As I've been migrating I've noticed more than a few posts that had the infamous "This image is not available" b.s. I had forgotten that if you modify a Flickr image in any way, the embed link changes and therefore results in a dead image link for the old one. The posts I found that had these have been this way for months and I didn't even know it until now. That ticked me off.
Downloading the entire Flickr collection was a nightmare, and manually editing each post that has an embedded Flickr image has proven to be even more of a nightmare.
I swear, I am never off-hosting anything ever again unless I deem it to be throw-away material. This migration has wasted so much of my frickin' time it's ridiculous.
More articles to check out
- Back when a 3.5" screen was good enough (and still is)
- 32GB microSD memory cards might be on the way out
- Ibanez does a "Negative Antigua" finish
- The guitar some buy in threes because they can: Grote GT-150
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed