migration off flickr almost complete
For a few days now I've been migrating all my images back to being locally hosted instead of having them on Flickr. This has been a huge pain in the ass. The last time I had this much aggravation was when I switched from MovableType to WordPress.
The reason for migrating back was for cost reasons. I don't feel like renewing my yearly subscription to Flickr.
But now I have a second reason: Dead image links.
As I've been migrating I've noticed more than a few posts that had the infamous "This image is not available" b.s. I had forgotten that if you modify a Flickr image in any way, the embed link changes and therefore results in a dead image link for the old one. The posts I found that had these have been this way for months and I didn't even know it until now. That ticked me off.
Downloading the entire Flickr collection was a nightmare, and manually editing each post that has an embedded Flickr image has proven to be even more of a nightmare.
I swear, I am never off-hosting anything ever again unless I deem it to be throw-away material. This migration has wasted so much of my frickin' time it's ridiculous.
12 days until the next newsletter. Don't miss out.
👍 Like this article? Send a tip.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Cheap guitar collectible for end of 2021, Squier Bullet Stratocaster HT
- There's still a need for the Tascam DP-006
- This year's Thanksgiving guitar, Gretsch G5031FT Rancher
- A thing to watch out for with cheap Strat copy guitars
- Burgundy Mist makes an appearance on a very affordable Telecaster
- Two mailing address solutions we don't use but should
- Bad vision friendly watch, Casio W218
- How I feel about the phone these days as a Gen-X in the 20s
- A better green Fender Telecaster
- Living with a high mileage car (over 144,000 miles!)