I've changed quite a bit over the past few days concerning my phone stuff.
In a nutshell, here's what I've done, in order:
- Replaced my old cell phone with a new 30-dollar smartphone and also acquired the accessories I needed for it (car charger and data cable).
- Canceled my digital landline phone.
- Bought a $2.99/month Skype subscription.
- Set up the Caller ID to display my Google Voice number on outgoing Skype calls.
At this point I am completely un-tethered with my phone communications. I now have no phone number that has a requirement of a phone plugged into the wall at a specific location to use.
The first Skype-to-phone test call I made was to the cable company to cancel my digital landline, and that went well with no glitches encountered. Skype should work out nicely for voice calls.
I decided to get a paid Skype account to talk to businesses primarily. If I ring up the cable company for example, I know that call is going to take at least 15 minutes, with 12 of them going through menus and waiting for the rep to pick up the line. It makes sense to spend 3 measly bucks a month on a Skype subscription just for calls like that. When on Skype I'm not worried about burning through prepaid minutes or battery life because there's no minutes or battery to burn through, so it's worth it.
The funniest part of my switch-to-Skype experience was that I actually hesitated on whether to spend 3 bucks a month or not. But then a little voice in my head said, "DUDE! IT'S ONLY THREE FRICKIN' DOLLARS.." and then went ahead with the purchase.
On a final note, yeah, it's true that all US/Canada calls are currently free on Google Voice, but I just like Skype better. It's a personal preference thing as Skype just seems more friendly to use overall.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one
- Plywood might be one of the best electric guitar tonewoods
- Why isn't The Whoopee Boys a cult classic?
- And then there were the right two