pop's new dell
Yesterday I went to Pop's to set up his new Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, which for some strange reason is billed as a nettop even though it's the size of a standard mini-tower. Whatever.
The box has a silver front with white sides and has solid construction to it. The USB ports are placed mid-case, which I appreciate. Four in the front, four in the rear. Nice and convenient.
My only complaint is that when the tray is open for the DVD drive, the open/shut button is blocked so you have to manually press on the tray to shut it. Other than that, everything else is okay.
The 531 came preloaded with XP (by request) and to my surprise there really wasn't that much junk loaded in the OS compared to years ago, so it was easy to clean up.
It took me about 4 hours to get this thing completely updated. Fortunately it already had Service Pack 3 on it, but had IE 6? It could have at least come with 7. No matter because I upgraded him to 8 anyway.
The provided keyboard was fine, but the mouse was absolutely terrible. The design of it is an ergonomic nightmare so we had to use his old one. In addition there was no way to configure the wheel click as a double-click. I tried the IntelliPoint software to see if I could get the option but had no luck there. Pop hated the new mouse anyway, so no big deal.
Possibly the best thing about the box is how quiet it is. You can barely hear the fans and the hard drive is absolutely silent.
Hopefully this one will last as long as the previous Dimension 4400 did, which was almost 10 years. 🙂
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Hamburger: The Motion Picture
- Guys who own stupid expensive and stupid cheap guitars at the same time
- The classiest little Casio, AQ230
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one