scoring negative something-or-other geek points as each year passes
I'm 32, and the older I get, the more I realize that I'm less and less a geek.
I thought I was a geek. Or maybe I never was.
There's a few things about me that would classify me as non-geek.
Cell phone stuff:
- I own a really cheap cell phone.
- My cell phone plan is basic-only.
- I never use text messaging.
- I can actually turn my phone off.
- My cell phone has absolutely no web browsing capability whatsoever.
- My ringtone is (gasp) a normal electronic ring.
A true geek owns a cell phone that's wicked expensive, costs at least $90 a month for the service, uses text messaging on it all the time, it browses the web, checks e-mail, shoots video, takes photos, blah blah blah. And a geek will never shut his or her phone off. Ever. It's just not possible. In fact, take a geek somewhere where the phone has no reception and the geek gets visibly nervous.
It used to be just by owning a computer you were a geek, but that doesn't qualify now because, well.. everyone has one.