This is one of those computer nerdy geeky post things. You've been warned.
I had entertained the idea - very briefly - to move this blog over to wordpress.com and have a subdomain redirect there (which would have been rich.menga.net). And yes I even wasted ten bucks just to try it out.
What a waste of time that was.
For those not aware there are over 1,900 posts on this blog. That's what happens when you blog regularly for almost four-and-a-half years.
I mention this because on export, my WordPress WXR file is over 10MB in size. For a database export of a single personal blog that's pretty frickin' huge.
This is what happened on my attempt:
After acquiring my export file I imported it to a wordpress.com blog. Didn't work. The order of entries was all wrong and the lack of plugin ability makes it a nightmare to work with.
In addition I was unaware that wordpress.com puts ADS in strategic places which is really crappy. You spend 10 bucks only to be informed you have to spend another 30 just to remove the ads. Very, very crappy.
There was other stuff within the wordpress.com system that just outright ticked me off.
So in the end I'm staying right where I am with a self-hosted system. Yes it costs more but you do get what you pay for in this instance.
More articles to check out
- The Fender Modern Player Marauder needs to come back
- Fender 75th Anniversary Stratocaster confusion
- Are there any real advantages to a headless guitar?
- Telecaster is a good example of a one-and-done guitar
- The guitars I still want that I haven't owned yet
- Casio W735HB (I wish this strap was offered on G-SHOCK)
- EART guitars are really stepping it up
- Using a Garmin GPS in 2021
- Converting to 24 hour time
- The best audio tester for your song recordings is your phone