The cheapest Squier Strat
Is this guitar any good?
Of course it is.
Over the weekend I ran down to Guitar Center Plano Texas to pick up a pack of strings, saw a Special Edition Squier Bullet Strat in Sea Foam Green (seen above), and tried it out.
Now to note, this is literally the cheapest adult size Strat that Squier makes. And it's still as cool as it ever was.
I have to admit that I had a wave of nostalgia hit me while playing this guitar, since I owned a Bullet Strat back in the day. This one pretty much follows the exact same formula, with the only thing really changed is that it's now made in Indonesia and not China.
Actually, one other thing changed. This one does use the new updated Squier logo:
Yes, this does look better than the old logo. Even the BY FENDER under it looks better with the all-caps treatment, similar to the look of a 1960's radio. It's a cool look.
When the logo even makes the cheapest model look cool, you know it's a logo done right.
Also notice it says STRATOCASTER on the headstock and not BULLET STRAT. It's also cool to see that. Technically, this does make the guitar a "real" Stratocaster.
Does it sound good? Yes. Does it play well? In stock setup, no. The action from the factory is of course ridiculously high and the guitar needed a setup.
The weight is good and this guitar had a very familiar feel to it. Same satin urethane neck finish, same control layout, same everything as the Bullet Strat of old...
...and that's a good thing. I'm glad this guitar is still being made. It's a beat-around guitar that absolutely sounds like a Strat is supposed to. Yes, it's cheap, but still great.
👍 Did you find this article helpful? Be a good doobie and leave a tip
More articles to check out
- The only double neck electric guitar worth buying
- Hate it all you want, NATO is the best watch strap there is
- Guitar options for nickel allergy sufferers
- Holy Diver Les Paul Outfit is actually impressive
- GPS adventures for 2019
- ESP is doing the best fade guitar finish right now
- A bad guitar string can cause buzzing on just one fret
- Fender (or Squier) needs to release a standard reverse headstock Strat
- Schecter Omen Extreme-6, 3 months later
- How to avoid guitar shipping damage