Best SG of 2019? Epiphone 1961 G-400 in Metallic Gold
I'm a sucker for gold guitars, what can I say.
Today is the last day of 2019. End of the year and end of the decade as well. Hope your new year is a good one. And you might want to ring in that new year with this gold beast.
I don't have any yellow guitars right now, but at some point I'll get another one. If I had the cash, I would get this Epiphone 1961 G-400 PRO right now.
This SG style guitar hits all the right marks.
Where appearance is concerned, it's not just the gold finish but the fact the keystone style tuners are used on this particular model. This Epiphone definitely has the correct vintage SG look.
And yes, this guitar is gold all around. Front and back. But it smartly doesn't have any gold hardware. If it did, that would be too much gold. There's enough black and chrome bits throughout that breaks up the main color and it really works well.
Bring this is a PRO model, yes the humbuckers are split with push-pull pots. The SG is already a bright sounding guitar to begin with, so the split sound may be a bit "pingy", but then again it's totally optional whether you want to use it or not. If you don't like it, just don't use it and go with the full dual coil sound all the time. Not an issue.
The only part of the guitar that bothers me - and this is only a styling thing - is the truss rod cover. It says "SG PRO" on it and looks a little tacky because the font is a few points too large. But that's easily fixed just by ordering a blank cover off eBay. Again, not an issue.
Again, I would totally get this if I had the cash for it. PRO is the best of the line from Epiphone, so it's not a bargain basement guitar. But you get a lot of guitar for the money with this one.
More articles to check out
- Ibanez does a "Negative Antigua" finish
- The guitar some buy in threes because they can: Grote GT-150
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed
- Just for the look: Peavey Solo guitar amp
- Spacehunter, that '80s movie when 3D was a thing