Diamond Darrell Dies
First of all, even though Darrell was always called "Dimebag" (originally as a joke when that started but the name stuck) I always called the guy by his original stage name "Diamond Darrell".
I have a lot of readers who come here who are not in-the-know when it comes to the rock/metal music world, so here's a 101:
Darrell was probably (depending on your point of view) one of the most influential guitar players to come 'round in the rock scene in a long time. No, he was no Randy Rhoads (early 80's) or Jimi Hendrix (60's) - however in his element he's ranked right up there with the greats of past. At a show that just happened he was literally shot to death by a crazed fan. If you're ever heard of the band "Pantera" he was the guitar player for that band. He was shot to death while playing with his current project "Damage Plan".
Several friends of mine are very choked up by this death.
What's more interesting is the onslaught of people trying to cash in on his death already.
See this eBay listing (edit: link is dead). It started at 12 bucks. At the time I write this it is up to 1800 bucks. For real. Check it out.
I will bet you that this will break $2000 before it's over.
I saw several other eBay listings where anything "Dimebag Darrell" is absolutely soaring in price.
Nothing sells like a dead rock star.
More articles to check out
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed
- Just for the look: Peavey Solo guitar amp
- Spacehunter, that '80s movie when 3D was a thing
- The Ice Pirates 1984
- A list of ridiculously accurate watches