Garmin nuvi 255W firmware v5.7 update is must-have
Over the past few weeks my nüvi 255W was having problems getting a GPS signal. It was so bad that the signal would drop right out, or at best I'd get a 90 to 150 foot accuracy resolution.
Garmin finally released a firmware update to fix this (which you can update via WebUpdater or myDashboard in myGarmin.) One of the notes for firmware v5.7 release stated:
Fixed an issue which could cause poor GPS reception.
Didn't say what issue it fixed specifically, but whatever, that's good enough for me.
After applying the update, this is the resolution I now get:
That's proper. Whenever you get a resolution of 20 feet or better (the lower the number the better the accuracy,) you're doing awesome.
For those that wonder why this matters at all, when your "Accuracy" is in check, the unit performs a whole lot better and faster. Screen draws/redraws and route calculations are faster, turn notifications are more accurate, etc. All of it runs like a well-oiled machine when the unit has a nice strong GPS signal.
9 days until the next newsletter. Don't miss out.
👍 Like this article? Send a tip.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Cheap guitar collectible for end of 2021, Squier Bullet Stratocaster HT
- There's still a need for the Tascam DP-006
- This year's Thanksgiving guitar, Gretsch G5031FT Rancher
- A thing to watch out for with cheap Strat copy guitars
- Burgundy Mist makes an appearance on a very affordable Telecaster
- Two mailing address solutions we don't use but should
- Bad vision friendly watch, Casio W218
- How I feel about the phone these days as a Gen-X in the 20s
- A better green Fender Telecaster
- Living with a high mileage car (over 144,000 miles!)