How to output a Line 6 Spider amp to a mixer
This is actually really easy. All you need is the correct cable, and possibly a firmware update.
The Line 6 Spider V 60 does not have a 1/4" or XLR output, so in order to output the amp to a mixing board (I send mine to my Zoom R8,) the specific cable to use is a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo to 1/4" (6.35mm) dual mono output. The cable I linked is the 6' (1.83m) version. Don't get the 3', because that's too short.
It looks like this:
Cables like this are ordinarily marketed towards smartphone users where you plug in the 1/8" end to the phone and the 1/4" ends to a mixer...
...but this happens to also be the perfect cable for the Line 6 Spider amp as well because it operates the same way. Plug the small side into the phones jack on the amp and the large sides to the mixing board.
Do you have to use both 1/4" cable ends?
No. You can get away with the 1/8" end in the amp and just one of the 1/4" ends in the mixer. The output will be mono instead of stereo. You leave the other 1/4" end dangling, and that's perfectly fine.
Additional step (optional)
As of firmware release v1.05 of the Spider V 60 (instructions here,) there is now the option to have the amp speaker on or off when the phones jack is in use.
To check which firmware version you have:
- Press and hold the Home key until the screen changes.
- There is no step 2, that's it. The first line will show the current firmware version. After about 30 seconds the amp returns back to the previous screen.
Where to go after you're at version 1.05 or greater:
- Press and hold the Home key.
- Scroll down to Phones Mode.
- Press the black knob below the screen once.
- Twist knob left for Phone, or right for Line.
- Press the black know below the screen again.
- Press Home to return to the main screen.
Looks like this:
What's the difference between Phones Mode and Line Mode?
When in Phones Mode, the amp speaker turns OFF whenever the headphones jack is in use.
When in Line Mode, the amp speaker stays ON, and sound outputs to both the amp speaker and the phones jack at the same time.
Line Mode can be useful as a way to monitor your amp sound directly at the amp while also outputting to a mixer, and that's why the feature exists. It was very cool of Line 6 to put this feature in.
Remember, the firmware on the amp must be at v1.05 or greater for this menu option to exist, otherwise it won't be there.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- The classiest little Casio, AQ230
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one
- Plywood might be one of the best electric guitar tonewoods
- Why isn't The Whoopee Boys a cult classic?