It came from the '90s: WAAF Unusual Suspects 1996
The only station that used to rock.
On 21 February 2020, a Friday, radio station WAAF at frequency 107.3 FM went off the air.
At the time of this writing, this happened a little over 4 months ago. However, if you're from Massachusetts or elsewhere in New England and knew of WAAF, it would not surprise me at all if you didn't even know 107.3 FM is now designated as WKVB, a non-commercial contemporary Christian radio station serving Westborough MA and surrounding areas. The rock radio station once at 107.3 is gone. Buh-bye.
Is WAAF dead? Technically it still exists as HD-2 channels 93.7 and 104.1. But as far as what it was, all the old DJs are gone and yeah, totally dead.
If you go to waaf.com and listen to what the station is now, it's basically exactly the same as when it was broadcast over-the-air on FM frequency 107.3. The only difference is there are no DJs. The WAAF page displays the current playlist. I went there, and this is a partial list of the stuff they were playing. I'll list each song and its original release date.
- Welcome to Paradise by Green Day, released Oct 4, 1994
- Crazy B*tch by Buckcherry, released Jan 31, 2006
- Guerrilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine, released Oct 12, 1999
- Higher by Creed, released Aug 24, 1999
- Big Me by Foo Fighters, released Feb 25, 1996
- Drive by Incubus, released Nov 20, 2000
- Fade to Black by Metallica, released Sep 30, 1984
- Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park, released Mar 17, 2003
- In Bloom by Nirvana, released Nov 30 1992
- Going Under by Evanescence, released Sep 9, 2003
Yeah, old stuff, most of which was released more than 20 years ago. And remember, any song older than 15 years is considered an oldie.
WAAF was a radio station that was relevant until the '90s, almost fizzled out in the 2000s, turned into an absolute dinosaur in the 2010s, then finally got the axe in 2020. Somehow they made it to 2020 playing almost nothing but oldies.
But let's talk about when WAAF was actually good and firing on all cylinders...
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- The classiest little Casio, AQ230
- Old internet humor has not aged well
- Where can a middle aged guy get plain sneakers these days?
- An HSS guitar I can actually recommend
- The 1,000 year disc, M-DISC
- The watch you buy when your smartwatch breaks
- This is the cheapest way to get guitar picks
- This is the Squier I'd buy had I not just bought one
- Plywood might be one of the best electric guitar tonewoods
- Why isn't The Whoopee Boys a cult classic?