The good and bad of the Squier 2019 Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster
...is good. Very good, actually.
There is nothing about the guitar that says "cheap" to me. It doesn't creak or squeak. All the screws were put in correct. The neck was installed correct. Fret wire finishing was done correct. All knobs have the right tension. Even the output jack has a nice feel when plugging in a cord to it.
All I could find that would be considered bad is something only nitpicker Strat players care about.
Acoustic body vibration is minimal.
I label this as a nitpicker thing because this is not something exclusive to Squier Strat guitars, as it also happens with Fenders.
Some Strat players appreciate a body that has a good loud acoustic vibration when you strum chords. They like a resonance when you can literally feel the vibrations on your body while the guitar is being played.
My CV '50s Strat doesn't do that. Sounds great and plays great but is acoustically quiet.
Is the quiet acoustic resonance due to the pine body? No. Some electrics with pine bodies have a loud acoustic resonance, but mine isn't one of them.
Getting an electric that has loud acoustic resonance is luck of the draw and really can't be pointed to any specific tonewood. Some say otherwise but I disagree. And the reason I disagree is because my 1989 Squier II Stratocaster with its plywood body is very resonant. Talk to any wood snob and they'd say plywood has poor resonance. My '89 Squier Strat proves otherwise. So again, it's luck of the draw whether you get that loud acoustic resonance or not.
Does the quieter resonance affect how the guitar sounds? Not in the slightest. My CV '50s rings true just like any other Strat and the quieter resonance isn't a deal-breaker at all.
The 2nd generation Classic Vibe is a genuinely good guitar and holds up to the standard of the CV being the top-of-the-line for Squier electrics.
9 days until the next newsletter. Don't miss out.
👍 Like this article? Send a tip.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Cheap guitar collectible for end of 2021, Squier Bullet Stratocaster HT
- There's still a need for the Tascam DP-006
- This year's Thanksgiving guitar, Gretsch G5031FT Rancher
- A thing to watch out for with cheap Strat copy guitars
- Burgundy Mist makes an appearance on a very affordable Telecaster
- Two mailing address solutions we don't use but should
- Bad vision friendly watch, Casio W218
- How I feel about the phone these days as a Gen-X in the 20s
- A better green Fender Telecaster
- Living with a high mileage car (over 144,000 miles!)