Older Garmin models worth getting (updated 2022 edition)
Back in 2018 I wrote about the Garmin models worth getting. Things have changed a bit, I've acquired some more Garmin GPSes since then, and these are the good ones worth getting in 2022.
These will be listed from newest to oldest.
Current (as of March 2022)
This is the very last made-for-car matte screen Garmin GPS that is being sold new. I use this regularly and yes, it's a decent unit.
You should get this book specifically written for the 52 if you intend on using one regularly so you can maximize battery life, understand how to rest the GPS signal if needed, learn your way around the unit quickly, and so on.
Out of production (but easily acquired and can be updated)
These are listed from newest to oldest.
- Garmin DriveSmart 65 - 6.95-inch, glossy screen.
- Garmin DriveSmart 61 - 6.95-inch, glossy screen.
- Garmin DriveSmart 51 - 5.0-inch, glossy screen. Like the 61 but in a 5-inch version.
- Garmin DriveSmart 50 - 5.0-inch, glossy screen. Not much difference between this one and the 51.
- Garmin nuvi 2539, 2559, 2589, 2599, 2639, 2659, 2699 - Glossy screen. Models starting with 25 are 5.0-inch, models starting with 26 are 6.0-inch. Fantastic model overall, very legible, big fonts, good processing speed.
- Garmin nuvi 57LM/LMT, 58LM/LMT, 67LM/LMT, 68LM/LMT - Matte screen. Like the 25* and 26* but in matte version. Models starting with 5 are 5.0-inch, models starting with 6 are 6.0-inch. Three versions of each exist. The one you want must end with LM (LifeTime Maps) or LMT (LifeTime Maps & Traffic). For example, if you see a "Garmin nuvi 57", no. But if you see "Garmin nuvi 57LM" or "Garmin nuvi 57LMT", yes. There are only minor differences between 55/56/57/58 and 65/66/67/68. All you have to decide is whether you want 5-inch or 6-inch.
- Garmin nuvi 2457LMT, 2497LMT, 2557LMT, 2597LMT - Matte screen. Models starting with 24 are 4.3-inch, models starting with 25 are 5-inch. The 24 is good if you barely have any room in your car and need a smaller model. The 25 is the same as the 24 in a 5-inch. Very good units overall.
Not many to choose from here when it comes to older stuff.
From newest to oldest:
- Garmin DriveSmart 70 - glossy screen, 7.0-inch
- Garmin nuvi 2789 - glossy scren, 7.0-inch
- Garmin nuvi 2797 - matte screen, 7.0-inch
You may want to consider the Garmin DriveSmart 65 or Garmin DriveSmart 61 instead. Both are technically not 7-inch, but just barely. A regular 7-inch has a 7" diagonal screen measurement, and the 61/65 have a 6.95" diagonal. Barely a difference. For all intents and purposes, both are 7" models.
For a 4.3", the nuvi 2497LMT is the best of the lot.
For a 5.0", Drive 52 and and nuvi 2589.
For a 6.0", nuvi 2659, nuvi 2699.
For a 6.95"/7.0", DriveSmart 65, DriveSmart 2789.