Linux not ready for prime time (for me)
I spent the better half of today and yesterday attempting to get Linux set up. Here's what I wanted to do: I wanted something simple. Just a KDE desktop I could remote to via TightVNC on SSH. Easy enough, right? Windows does it rather easily.
I tried three (yeah, three) flavors of Linux in an attempt to get this done. I tried SuSE, RedHat and Gentoo. All three installed fine. All three worked fine. All three SUCKED at SSH remote "Xvnc". It either worked somewhat, or not at all. Very disappointing. Granted, I know I said very nice things about Linux previously, but the one thing I needed to do was to get the remote VNC working properly. That one thing I couldn't get working. I must've installed and reinstalled Linux about 12 times trying to do this.
This was all very frustrating, because in addition to all the install/reinstall crap, I read a mountain of documentation and newsgroup postings stating "Yep! Works great!" No it doesn't. What is not mentioned is that it does work great going from Linux to Linux boxes, not Windows to Linux which is what I needed in the first place because I use a Win2000 PC at work.
If I didn't need to remote into the computer from werk, I would (for real) run Linux all the time with the KDE Desktop (never liked GNOME that much). Unfortunately, I gotta stick with buggy Windows to do what I gotta do (sigh).
On a more positive note - I sent off the $191 today for the final (insert dramatic music here) payment on my car. YES! Can't believe that payment is finally coming to an end. It will be weird not having a car payment, but I'm sure that I'll get used to it real quick. (grin)
More articles to check out
- The guitar some buy in threes because they can: Grote GT-150
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed
- Just for the look: Peavey Solo guitar amp
- Spacehunter, that '80s movie when 3D was a thing
- The Ice Pirates 1984