Windows Live federated identity how-to
Recently I was finally able to figure out how to get my e-mail address to act as a Windows Live (a.k.a. MSN) screen name. It wasn't too difficult to pull off once I figured out how to get an SRV record to work.
So you have a hosted domain but your web host provider has absolutely no capability to allow for editable SRV records. You've asked; you've begged; you've pleaded; the response is always the same. NO.
Solution: Use another DNS provider. By doing this you can keep your same web host provider and that that SRV in there that will turn your domain mail into Windows Live Hotmail addresses than can also chat with the Windows Live Messenger.
I use EditDNS. If you have Google Apps, these guys have an automatic setting that will set up federation for that service, but for Windows Live they don't so you have to do it manually.
Fortunately, setting up SRV for Windows Live Domains is far easier than Google Apps.
Here's what it looks like:
From top to bottom:
- The CNAME points mail.menga.net to go.domains.live.com.
- The A record is so menga.net points to my existing web host provider's IP.
- The MX is so e-mail is routed thru Hotmail's server.
- The three NS servers are EditDNS' so the names translate correctly.
- The TXT is for SPF.
- The second A record is so www.menga.net acts the same as menga.net.
- The SRV record at the bottom (provided by Microsoft in the Windows Live Domains admin panel) enables chat capability.
Concerning the AXFR transfer status, I entered in my web host providers name server IPs.
Afterwards you login to your registrar and change your existing name servers to ns1.us.editdns.net, ns2.us.editdns.net and ns3.us.editdns.net.
There's no other setup at this point. In about 12 to 48 hours after the new nameservers take effect you'll be able to chat using your domain e-mail.
12 days until the next newsletter. Don't miss out.
👍 Like this article? Send a tip.
Best ZOOM R8 tutorial book
highly rated, get recording quick!
More articles to check out
- Cheap guitar collectible for end of 2021, Squier Bullet Stratocaster HT
- There's still a need for the Tascam DP-006
- This year's Thanksgiving guitar, Gretsch G5031FT Rancher
- A thing to watch out for with cheap Strat copy guitars
- Burgundy Mist makes an appearance on a very affordable Telecaster
- Two mailing address solutions we don't use but should
- Bad vision friendly watch, Casio W218
- How I feel about the phone these days as a Gen-X in the 20s
- A better green Fender Telecaster
- Living with a high mileage car (over 144,000 miles!)