what does independence day mean to you?
I truly found out what Independence Day meant in July of 2005, because that year I was forced to work (as in "go to work or you're fired") that day with the current job I had at the time, which by the way was the worst job I ever had. Go figure.
Believe me when I say I'll never forget that. It didn't matter I was making time-and-a-half.
What mattered is that I was 100% ticked off.
I was angry getting up that morning, driving to work, actually working, driving home, and continued being angry for a good two days after that.
Shortly after that incident I quit that job, but I still wish to this day I give a hidey-ho "screw you" to that corporation and just stayed home.
Yes, I said "corporation". A mindless, faceless entity that's grown so large that it couldn't care less about the people who work for it any longer. The kind of work places that are living versions of Dilbert cartoons. They exist only to give people crappy jobs for their crappy lives. Even if the crappy job is a high-paying job, it's still a crappy job no matter how you look at it.
I look back on that now and it seems like a really long time ago.
My job now is 100% awesome. I do cool stuff every day. I couldn't ask for a better boss - and I mean that sincerely. The guy knows what he's doing, has a rock-solid company and is building it properly. You really can't ask for any more than that.
. . .
Also, about 1.22 years ago I escaped New England. And yes, I consider it an escape. I got out. That's a darn good definition of exercising independence to me, as in the freedom to go live where you want - and I did just that.
I love where I live. The weather is 1000% better, the people are nicer, and I smile knowing I'm here.
More articles to check out
- The Fender Modern Player Marauder needs to come back
- Fender 75th Anniversary Stratocaster confusion
- Are there any real advantages to a headless guitar?
- Telecaster is a good example of a one-and-done guitar
- The guitars I still want that I haven't owned yet
- Casio W735HB (I wish this strap was offered on G-SHOCK)
- EART guitars are really stepping it up
- Using a Garmin GPS in 2021
- Converting to 24 hour time
- The best audio tester for your song recordings is your phone