12 bucks wasted
Even though I hardly ever use my cell phone (which is a LG VX3200 by the way), I am getting kinda tired of looking at the same old wallpaper over and over again. The ringtones completely suck, too. I noticed there was a little port on the bottom.. "Hm.. must be for data!", so I popped on to eBay and bought a cable. With shipping it was 12 bucks.
I received the cable today and was happy, because now I could go and change the ringtones and wallpapers and so on.
Or so I thought.
Does the cable work? Sure. Does it allow me to modify ringtones and wallpaper? Absolutely not. It will charge the phone, but it absolutely will not send/receive any data whatsoever.
After scrounging around the 'net trying to find a tutorial on how to get the cable to work for data transfers, I found this thread and followed the instructions. No go. Windows XP will not detect the "USB Prolific" device as stated in the tutorial. I don't know why because even though it's not specifically a "FutureDial" cable, it has the same compatibility.
I suppose it is kinda neat that I can use USB to charge my phone, but what I really wanted was some different wallpaper. Ah well. I don't look at it much anyway.
More articles to check out
- The guitar some buy in threes because they can: Grote GT-150
- You're not allowed to change a brake light in a new car?
- Unexpected surprise, Casio F201
- Why the Epiphone Explorer is better than the Gibson (for now)
- You should surround yourself in guitar luxury
- Forgotten Gibson: 1983 Map Guitar
- Casio MTP-V003, the one everyone missed
- Just for the look: Peavey Solo guitar amp
- Spacehunter, that '80s movie when 3D was a thing
- The Ice Pirates 1984